Wednesday, September 03, 2008

RESPONSIBILITY

There's this and then there's that!?

This morning, I sipped coffee with my buddy on main street Banff. I watched Paul tap into his iPhone the Conference of Defense Ministers of the Americas which is being held in Banff all this week. We scrolled through articles and strolled main street ending up on a grassy knoll in a beautiful gardens. We decided to go looking for the Conference and drove by the Banff Springs Hotel. And there were soldiers and black sedans and policy makers and high security and ear pieces and uniformed suits everywhere. As lunch was being served to hundreds of soldiers and delegates from North, Central and South American nations, Paul and I walked freely through their halls. I felt at home. I wanted to help. As if I have a clue what they're up to!?

It was earlier this summer I stood there in Banff Springs Hotel with my elite Maltese soldier friend and asked him, "If we held a conference for world leaders here at the hotel should we host them during summer or winter?" He smiled, "Summer!" I agreed.

Just now, I remember that he and I and our wives danced with our children and our friends in the very halls the Defense Ministers are wading through all this week. And Dar and I would love to host a lavish ball one day in the ballroom - to celebrate our 20th anniversary, Lord willing we are here five years from now, and we can personally afford to host the party.

Until then, there's a lot of dreams to test and a lot of life to live. Where our treasure is, there our hearts will also be!

Once more, I have sometimes thought it possible I might be too dull to write such a story as I should wish to write.... I will write when I get ready. How many people live on the reputation of the reputation they might have made!

I saw you smile when I spoke about the possibility of my being too dull to write a good story. I don't pretend to know what you meant by it, but I take occasion to make a remark which may hereafter prove of value to some among you.

When one of us, who has been led by native vanity and senseless flattery to think himself or herself possessed of talent, arrives at the full and final conclusion that he or she is really dull, it is one of the most tranquillizing and blessed convictions that can enter a mortal's mind.

All our failures, our shortcomings, our strange disappointments in the effect of our efforts are lifted from our bruised shoulders, and fall, like Christian's pack, at the feet of that Omnipotence which has seen fit to deny us the pleasant gift of high intelligence - with which one look may overflow us in some wider sphere of being.
Oliver Wendell Holmes - The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table

What's God going to say to my questions? I'm braced for the worst. I'll climb to the lookout tower and scan the horizon. I'll wait to see what God says, how he'll answer my complaint. Full of Self, but Soul-Empty.

And then God answered: "Write this. Write what you see. Write it out in big block letters so that it can be read on the run. This vision-message is a witness pointing to what's coming. It aches for the coming—it can hardly wait! And it doesn't lie. If it seems slow in coming, wait. It's on its way. It will come right on time.

Look at that man, bloated by self-importance — full of himself but soul-empty. But the person in right standing before God through loyal and steady believing is fully alive, really alive.

Note well: Money deceives."
Habakkuk 2

1 Comments:

At September 15, 2008, Blogger Lorne & Vicki said...

'This' cost me nothing for you.

'That' cost me everything for me me me I my-self.

Watch the Bucket list movie.

What is your joy?

Who have you joyed before you kicked the bucket?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home