Saturday, November 19, 2005

Cascade and Sulphur


Warm here this week - 14 degrees today. Good for hiking. Yesterday morning I drove to Banff anticipating Rundle again. I arrived to Rundle swamped out in fog. As I came off the highway there was a rainbow to the right, so I drove toward it.

At the end of the rainbow was a little parking area, so I pulled over, got out to stretch and read this plaque.



It would be an adventure to train up and mobilize 10,000 young leaders.

Since I was already there, I decided to hike up as much as I could of Cascade. At the trail head I read this cryptic sign, "Have you closed your flight plan?" What on earth did that mean? Was it a sign from God I was going to die on the mountain? Kidding...


500 feet into my wet climb I came back down and wandered the trail at the base of Cascade.




I realized the earlier sign meant it was an emergency landing strip.

I found three planes in a little makeshift airplane refugee camp.

I hiked the length of the runway and then further beyond to get some pics of the back of Cascade and Elk Pass.


After some rehydration and snacks I drove into Banff and hiked the hour and a half up Sulphur, across the valley from Rundle. At 2:30 pm the clouds finally cleared off the top of Rundle. The whole way up Sulphur I prayed and preached and imagined whole spiritual armies of young saints uniting together as one for the sake of our cities.

Anything is possible while you're trudging through new fallen snow on a mountain. Everything is so fresh and clear and free.
Sometimes it's important to land the plane. But, a good plane won't stay on the ground for long.

2 Comments:

At November 20, 2005, Blogger ka___t said...

hey kirk

please intercede for us tomorrow!

UT outdoor prayer time: 12:15-12:45
York outdoor prayer time: 2:30-3:30
Western prayer time: 10:00pm-onwards

thank you...!

 
At November 20, 2005, Blogger Kirk Bartha said...

sure thing kat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home